Two moms. Five daughters. Opposite ends of the globe.




Two moms. Five daughters. A friendship that spans opposite ends of the globe.



We have been best friends for ages with a shared love for good food. A desire of good health for ourselves and our families have lead us to exploring the paleo lifestyle together. Enjoy our adventure!



Saturday, October 15, 2011

Tangy Mango Chutney

In my opinion, no Indian meal is complete without chutney. Thank goodness chutney is not always the uber sugary type presumably made popular by Major Grey in the 19th century. Chutney is similar to "curry" in that it's a generic word used in South Asian cuisine. Chutney is simply a condiment, usually classified as either sweet or hot (and often both) that contains any combination of fruit, vegetable, and spice.

Two of my favorite chutneys are savory and spicy and super simple to make. Hari Chutney is made primarily with cilantro, mint, and hot chilies. It is fiery hot and tastes divine over any kind of tandoori meat. Coconut Chutney is served with breakfast in South India and is made primarily with coconut, tamarind, and chilies.

Saying that, I do love a tangy and slightly sweet chutney as well. My favorite "sweet" chutneys are Tomato Chutney and the ever popular Mango Chutney. Usually made with vinegar and loads of sugar (or HFCS in store bought varieties), I've always sweetened my homemade chutneys with dates instead. Guess I was working on this paleo lifestyle long before I even knew what it was!



Ingredients:
  • 8 ounces dates, pitted and finely chopped
  • 2 1/2 cups rice vinegar, unsweetened
  • 2 pounds fresh mango, peeled and cut into small pieces
  • 2/3 cup currants or raisins, unsweetened (I prefer currants)
  • 2-inch piece of ginger root, peeled and thinly sliced or grated
  • 4 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
  • 1 T chili powder
  • 1 T mustard seeds

Directions:
  1. Add all ingredients into a sauce pan and mix well.
  2. Bring to a boil.
  3. Reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes. Stir ocassionally.
  4. Serve warm.
Note: I believe chutneys are supposed to last several months if stored in an air-tight jar and refrigerated. I have to say mine never last longer than a day or two...

3 comments:

  1. A paleo Chutney recipe?? My life is complete :)

    Frankie

    PS great to see a WA paleo blogger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this sounds great but I think rice vinegar is technically not paleo (made from rice which is not paleo). do you think a cider vinegar or something else would work? I'm not die-hard paleo so either way I'm going to love this less sugared chutney. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my goodness - paleo mango chutney!!! I honestly thought that that part of my life was over - and it's one of the few things I miss now that I'm Paleo - thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete