Two moms. Five daughters. Opposite ends of the globe.




Two moms. Five daughters. A friendship that spans opposite ends of the globe.



We have been best friends for ages with a shared love for good food. A desire of good health for ourselves and our families have lead us to exploring the paleo lifestyle together. Enjoy our adventure!



Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Egg Masala and Tuna Curry

It's the day after Easter and I have this in my fridge:


We could have spent the next week or so having crazy-faced, hard-boiled eggs in our lunches... but I'm not that much of a hard-boiled egg fan to begin with. So instead of prolonging their life, I went about making a list of recipes where I could get rid of all the eggs in one go. My very uninspiring list consisted of egg salad. Not exactly what I was hoping for. Then I recalled that years ago, I came across an Indian curry calling for hard-boiled eggs. I have to admit my first reaction to seeing that was "why in the world would I waste a perfectly good curry sauce with eggs?" But over the years, the recipe has caught my attention more than once. That curiosity combined with the dozen plus eggs smiling at me from the fridge finally caused me to take action and give it a try. Fearing a big thumbs down from everyone in the family, I made a backup dish to accompany it: our favorite tuna curry, which I usually serve over a cabbage salad.

The results? Pretty amazing. Not only did the girls gobble it down and beg for more, I surprised myself by going back for seconds! And... it was divine with the tuna! I will be adding this to my list of school night "quick fixes", for sure!



Serves 4

Egg Masala Ingredients:

  • 2 T coconut oil
  • 1 cup onion, finely chopped
  • 2-inch piece ginger, finely chopped
  • 3 cups tomato sauce
  • 4 tsp ground cumin
  • 2 tsp hot curry powder
  • 2 tsp ground coriander
  • 2 tsp lemon juice
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 4 T cilantro, finely chopped
  • 8 hard boiled eggs, peeled and sliced in half

Egg Masala Directions:

  1. Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. 
  2. Add onion and ginger and fry until onion begins to carmelize. 
  3. Stir in tomato sauce, spices, and lemon juice and simmer for 10 minutes. Add a little water if the sauce becomes too thick.
  4. Stir in cilantro. 
  5. Gently place eggs in the pan and spoon sauce over top. Heat until eggs are warmed through.

Tuna Curry Ingredients:
  • 2 T coconut oil
  • 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1-inch piece ginger, finely chopped
  • 1/2 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
  • 3 small cans tuna, drained
  • 2 T curry powder
  • 1 T cilantro, finely chopped
  • 2 tsp lemon juice

Tuna Curry Directions:
  1. Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. 
  2. Add onion, garlic, ginger, and jalapeno pepper and fry until onion begins to carmelize.
  3. Stir in tuna, curry powder, and cilantro and cook until tuna is hot. 
  4. Squirt with lemon juice and serve immediately.
*Both these gorgeous dishes are inspired by recipes in cookbooks from Madhur Jaffrey.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Angie and Kelle,

    I hope you're keeping well. I'm just getting in touch to ask if you're in need of any freelance writing at bipolarpaleo.blogspot.com - if so, it'd be a pleasure to help out and get involved if you have any need for me.

    I have been working full-time as a professional writer and researcher for eight years; in that time I’ve covered pretty much everything as Paleo Diet Enthusiast and I tend to focus on Paleo Diet Recipes. Anything I send over would be written with your site's readership in mind; as long as you're happy with the resulting material, you'd be welcome to publish it as you see fit and the content will be owned by you entirely (in that I won't send it to anyone else, either before or after publication).

    The good news is that I'd be able to offer my services at no charge; the only thing I would ask in return is that I'm able to include a link to my website within the article.

    Do let me know if you're interested, and if so I can get something written for you over the course of the next few days. Needless to say, the offer is open to any other sites you might own as well as bipolarpaleo.blogspot.com. I appreciate that this kind of offer is not for everyone however, so if I don't hear from you I won't trouble you again.

    Very best,

    Mahindra

    Some samples for your delectation:

    http://www.paleodietrecipes.org.uk/2012/07/paleo-diet-foods-made-easy.html

    http://www.paleodietrecipes.org.uk/2012/07/paleo-cooking-with-herbs-and-spices.html

    http://www.paleodietrecipes.org.uk/2012/07/paleo-diet-on-a-budget.html

    ReplyDelete