This dinner was a complete experiment that turned out phenomenal! Sunshine wanted me to make a sweet-and-spicy sauce for the roasted chicken I was preparing. I wouldn't exactly call this sweet and spicy, but the gravy was so rich and delicious that we were fighting over who got to lick the pan!
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos (or wheat-free tamari/soy sauce)
- 1 T frozen cranberry juice concentrate (100% juice)
- 1 T hot chili sauce (paleo-friendly)
- 1 T coconut oil
- 12 chicken drumsticks
- 8 garlic cloves, skin-on
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 bag cabbage and carrot "coleslaw mix"
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix the balsamic, coconut aminos, cranberry juice, and hot sauce in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a dutch oven over medium heat.
- Sear chicken legs on all sides then add to the marinade sauce.
- Fry whole garlic cloves until lightly browned.
- Add the sliced onion and fry 3-5 minutes, until onions begin to brown.
- Place chicken legs back into the dutch oven, over the onions and garlic.
- Baste chicken with the remaining marinade.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Serve over cabbage.