Two moms. Five daughters. Opposite ends of the globe.

Two moms. Five daughters. A friendship that spans opposite ends of the globe.

We have been best friends for ages with a shared love for good food. A desire of good health for ourselves and our families have lead us to exploring the paleo lifestyle together. Enjoy our adventure!

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Massaman Beef Curry

Just when I thought I couldn't make a better curry...

In one of my earliest posts, I shared how to make a perfect Thai Coconut Curry, but I think I've actually out-curried myself. On this day, I tossed some meat and veggies into the slow cooker in the morning without really knowing what I was going to make for dinner. Coming home to a house filled with smells of a gingery-stew was lovely, but I just wasn't in the mood to eat it as-is. In 15-minutes, I whipped that "plain" stew into the best Massaman curry I've ever had!

  • 2 pounds stew meat, cubed
  • 1 onion, cut into eighths
  • 2-3 carrots, cut into large chunks
  • 1-2 turnips, cut into large chunks
  • 1-2 inch piece of ginger, sliced
  • 1 cup beef broth
  • 1/2 tsp Berbere spice or cayenne (optional)
  • 1 T coconut oil
  • 2-4 T Massaman curry paste 
  • 1 can coconut milk
  • 2 tsp coconut aminos (or wheat-free tamari) 
  • 1/4 cup cashews (optional)

  1. Add meat, onion, carrots, turnips, ginger, and beef broth to slow cooker. Sprinkle with Berbere spice or cayenne, if using.
  2. Cook stew on low for 4-6 hours, or until meat is cooked through and tender.
  3. Heat oil in a wok or pan over medium-high heat.
  4. Add curry paste and fry for 2-3 minutes. The paste will become fragrant and may begin popping and sizzling.
  5. Add about 1/3 can of coconut milk and mix well with the curry paste and oil. Fry for 5-10 minutes or until an oily sheen appears the coconut milks begins to separate.
  6. Add the remaining 2/3 can of coconut milk along with the coconut aminos.
  7. Add contents of slow cooker into the curry sauce, including the liquid. Cook 5 minutes, or until the sauce thickens.
  8. Taste and adjust. Too mild? Add more curry paste. Too bland? Add more coconut aminos. Too thick? Add a little water. Continue adjusting until you reach that taste of ultimate yumminess.
  9. Serve immediately.
Note: The store bought Massaman curry paste tends to be much  more mild than the other pastes I buy. I usually have to double the amount of paste to get the level of flavor I like. I don't generally use fish sauce or lime juice in Massaman curry, but you can certainly add those ingredients instead of the coconut aminos if you like.


  1. Hi Angie and Kelle!!

    We would love to have you upload this and any other awesome paleo/primal recipes you have to!! We're happy to provide your blogs link in the recipe text and tag your fan page our Facebook page on every recipe you upload!! :)))


  2. I see is says serve immediately, is it still okay the next day though? I need yummy 'slow cooker' recipes I can make a day ahead to take to our ski cabin. Any thoughts?

  3. Absolutely delicious!!! One of the best meals I have made since going Primal - thanks for sharing!!

  4. Made this a few nights ago, substituting bison for beef and celery root and leeks for the veggies. It was really good!