Two moms. Five daughters. Opposite ends of the globe.




Two moms. Five daughters. A friendship that spans opposite ends of the globe.



We have been best friends for ages with a shared love for good food. A desire of good health for ourselves and our families have lead us to exploring the paleo lifestyle together. Enjoy our adventure!



Sunday, November 13, 2011

Roasted Winter Squash Soup

I love soup. Anytime of year, but especially thick, warming soups in winter. Before moving to a paleo diet, my favorite soup ingredients often included pasta or beans. Since cold weather has set in, I've enjoyed experimenting with new recipes sans the ingredients I'm trying to avoid. I've had a couple delicious winter squash soups before, but some reason, have never attempted it at home. Now that I'm a serious squash lover, I just had to come up with an easy squash soup. And I am NOT complaining about the results!


For this soup, I wanted a sweet taste and smooth texture. I chose Blue Kuri squash with bright orange flesh. I also had a Delcata squash that needed eaten, so I added that as well. I think this soup base would work just fine for any winter squash. I'll be experimenting... and there's plenty more winter left in Alaska to do just that!

Ingredients:
  • 1 blue kuri and 1 delcata squash (substitute as desired)
  • olive oil
  • fresh ground pepper
  • 2 T coconut oil
  • 1 sweet onion, finely chopped
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1 cup coconut milk

Directions:

  1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
  2. Cut the squash and remove seeds.
  3. Drizzle squash with olive oil and sprinkle generously with fresh ground pepper.
  4. Bake for 45 minutes.
  5. Let cool.
  6. Heat coconut oil in a pan.
  7. Fry onion on low-medium heat until golden brown and carmelized.
  8. Scoop flesh from squash and place in blender with fried onion, chicken broth, and coconut milk.
  9. Blend until smooth. Add water until desired consistency is reached.
  10. Return to stovetop and heat.
Note: The squash can be baked a day ot two before making the soup. I cooked it the previous night while cooking dinner.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Angie and Kelle,

    I'm trying to reach you to discuss the possibility of including a few of your recipes (with credit and a link) in a meal plan web app I've created. I can't find a contact form here so I figured I'd try leaving a comment. Can you please contact me at this email address to discuss this further?

    Thanks,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete