For this soup, I wanted a sweet taste and smooth texture. I chose Blue Kuri squash with bright orange flesh. I also had a Delcata squash that needed eaten, so I added that as well. I think this soup base would work just fine for any winter squash. I'll be experimenting... and there's plenty more winter left in Alaska to do just that!
- 1 blue kuri and 1 delcata squash (substitute as desired)
- olive oil
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 T coconut oil
- 1 sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Cut the squash and remove seeds.
- Drizzle squash with olive oil and sprinkle generously with fresh ground pepper.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Let cool.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan.
- Fry onion on low-medium heat until golden brown and carmelized.
- Scoop flesh from squash and place in blender with fried onion, chicken broth, and coconut milk.
- Blend until smooth. Add water until desired consistency is reached.
- Return to stovetop and heat.