We ended up with a lovely spread. A beautiful bird, roasted to near perfection. Minty peas (peas, mint, vinegar, a touch of agave). Mashed "sweetnip" (sweet potato, turnip, a little butter, salt, pepper). And my gorgeous sausage stuffing. I was just winging it and can say I WILL be making this again. I thought it was divine and I swear I didn't miss the dense bready stuffing I normally love.
Sausage Stuffing Ingredients:
- 1 T coconut oil
- 1/2 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1/2 to 1 tsp sage
- 1/2 tsp Berbere spice
- 2 apples with skins, cored
- salt and pepper, to season
- Roast the apples. We actually cooked them inside the turkey and so they nearly disintegrated in lovely turkey drippings. You might achieve the same consistency and flavor in a slow cooker or roasted in the oven with some bacon grease. In a pinch, you might be able to substitute unsweetened applesauce.
- Heat the oil over medium heat. Fry the onion, carrot, and celery until they begin to soften. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Fry the pork. When partially cooked, stir in the spices. Continue until pork is cooked through.
- Return the cooked vegetables and cooked apples to the pan. Stir into the pork and continue cooking until vegetables reach desired doneness.
- Serve immediately.