Pulled Pork Ingredients:
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 1/2 pound pork loin roast
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 slices bacon
- 2 cups chicken broth
- salt and pepper
BBQ Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1 cup liquid, reserved from the cooked pork
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 T fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1/4 - 1 T sambal olek (or another paleo-friendly hot sauce)
- 1 T spicy brown mustard
- 1 T rice vinegar
- 1 T frozen pineapple juice concentrate (100% juice)
- Place chopped onion in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Add the roast. Cut slits on the roast and embed a garlic clove in each one.
- Pour chicken broth over the roast.
- Cover with slices of bacon and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook meat on low for 6-8 hours, or until meat is cooked through and tender.
- Strain pork, reserving liquid and set aside.
- In a sauce pan, add all ingredients for the BBQ sauce.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, until sauce thickens.
- Stir pulled pork into the sauce and serve immediately.
Paleo Coleslaw: Chop cabbage and carrots or use a pre-packaged coleslaw mix. Whisk together a dressing made with olive oil, rice vinegar, and spicy brown mustard.
Sweet Potato Fries: Peel 2 sweet potatoes and cut into fry size pieces. Soak in cold water for 20 minutes. Drain and pat dry. Drizzle with olive oil and spicy spice mixture (I like using berbere, an Ethiopian spice mix). Spread onto a cookie sheet and cook for 30-45 minutes at 400 degrees.