Two moms. Five daughters. Opposite ends of the globe.




Two moms. Five daughters. A friendship that spans opposite ends of the globe.



We have been best friends for ages with a shared love for good food. A desire of good health for ourselves and our families have lead us to exploring the paleo lifestyle together. Enjoy our adventure!



Sunday, July 24, 2011

Jet-Lag Special

I've gotten really good with short-cuts while cooking since having kids, but this morning I woke up at 3:30 am so I had a little extra time to do things right. Today's cooking goal? To make beef stock. Usually I just use raw soup bones I get from the grass-fed beef vendor at our market, and whatever veggies I can find in the fridge. This morning I decided to roast the bones first. It really makes for a good stock, and as a bonus-if you line your tray with foil and turn up the edges, you can save all the awesome fat that renders from the marrow. Most of that I saved for future use, but I took a few teaspoons of it, fried a julienned purple carrot in it, and ended up with a super yummy "hash." Add a fried egg on top, and viola!
The picture didn't turn out as well as I would have liked, but it sure was delish. I would absolutely add some onion next time, but I haven't re-stocked the refrigerator yet and didn't have any.


Purple Carrot Hash

1 carrot per person
(I know this will be even better next time with onion)
marrow fat! or whatever fat you like
S&P to taste
1 or 2 eggs per person

Julienne, slice, or dice your veggies
Fry in the marrow or other fat until soft and starting to crisp up.
Move hash to plates and use the same pan to fry eggs to your liking.
Serve egg over the hash with S&P. Who needs potatoes anyway?


No comments:

Post a Comment